G.W.F. Hegel (1770-1831). This 47-mm medallion, widely distributed in Germany during Hegel’s lifetime, was commissioned in 1830 by Hegel’s students at the University of Berlin to commemorate his rectorship there and executed by August L. Held (1805-1839) on the basis of Drake’s bas relief, see hegel portrait #6). The reverseside celebrates in a Grecian motif the eternal friendship of Christian faith and Wissenschaft (true philosophy).
Back to gallery overwiew page.